
HAPPY BIRTH DAY!!!
On April 16, 2001 I had a regular appointment with my obstetrician, Dr. Sundwall. The week previous I had been dialated to a 5 and I had been having contractions (some pretty painful) for several weeks. My doctor knew about that. We came to this appointment prepared to go straight to Alta View Hospital - overnight bag, car seat, going home outfit for the boys, etc. We found out that I was dilated to a 7. I was 4 weeks from my due date, but we knew we could have the twins at any time. Dr. Sundwall told us to go home and if I have any contractions to go to the hospital. Tim and I just looked at each other stunned. Did Dr. Sundwall not hear what we just told him? I told Tim, "we can't go home." The contractions were too hard and painful already. We decided that we would just hang out in Sandy for a while and go shopping or whatever. We knew I wasn't going to last much longer with the contractions I was having. Dr. Sundwall still wanted us to go home, but he decided to call the hospital anyway. He talked to a nurse in labor and delivery. The nurse actually suggested that we come to the hospital and they would monitor my contractions for a while and see what was going on. So, we went to Alta View Hospital, got strapped into a fetal monitor (lovely, itchy things) and after about one hour I was having hard labor contractions and I was crying and ready to have the babies. I told Tim that it really wasn't fair that I had to go through these kind of contractions when I was going to have a C-section. "Tell Dr. Sundwall to get to the hospital!!! Why isn't he getting here? I shouldn't have to go through this pain." He finally showed up and by 7 pm, I was all ready for my C-section. (The only reason for a C-Section was that Michael's rear end was blocking the exit and Bobby and Michael's heads could have locked together during a vaginal birth.) Everything went well and "Baby A" (Michael) was born at 7:47 pm and "Baby B" (Bobby) was born at 7:49 pm. I was really grateful that everything went well with their birth and that they were healthy. Michael was 5 lbs. 4 oz. and Bobby weighed in at 4 lbs. 13 oz. They were just beautiful!
The first 4-6 months of life with twins is kind of a blur to me. I just remember being really tired. I remember struggling to nurse them. I would nurse them and then pump and feed them the extra expressed milk. It was very time consuming. I would continue to pump after each feeding for many months so we would have extra milk for the 2 am feeding which Tim did every night beginning at about 2 months. (It was so nice to actually have about 4 hours of sleep every night.) It was a struggle to keep up with everything during the day. First of all, I was tired. Second, not only did we have twins to take care of, but Corissa was barely two years old. Everyone knows how time consuming a 2 year old is and she had just learned to go potty. I got very good at nursing while walking around and taking her potty. Once the boys were about 6 months, things got a lot easier and much more enjoyable. We have had some wonderful experiences with these little boys. We are so happy to have them in our family.

May 7, 2001
Michael and Bobby
Ahhhh....quiet....very peaceful moment
June 17, 2001 - 2 months old


4 comments:
I can't believe they're seven already. Seems like yesterday they were just born. I remember being emotional seeing your two little ones together in the same basinet in the Hospital. Good times.
Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the TV Digital, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://tv-digital-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.
Wow, they are so cute. Abe and I had a fun time looking at the pictures of Michael and Bobby. The sleeping one is our favorite.
I'm glad you had those twins, I don't think I'm tough enough for that routine. They are and were adorable little guys. Enjoyed seeing you guys out at the great new basketball standard-Bentley wants to play so badly.
Post a Comment